Knee Injuries Suffered in a Car Accident in Chicago
Knee injuries are among the most common types of trauma suffered in a car accident. The knees can twist or hyperextend, or they can be injured from forceful force contact with the dash, side panel, or even the airbag. In the process, many things can happen: ligaments or tendons can be strained or torn, the meniscus (the soft cartilage-like substance that provides cushioning) can be torn, or even the kneecap can be broken. Regardless of the type of knee injury you’ve suffered, the Grandview Health Partners Chicago can help.
Some of the symptoms of a knee injury
In many cases, the signs of a knee injury will be clear: you may have swelling or limited range of motion, or you may not be able to put any weight on your knee without discomfort. Other indicators of possible knee trauma include:
- Discoloration or warmth in or around the kneecap or knee joint.
- Pain when the back or side of the knee is touched.
- Loss of stability or strength in the knee: It is not so much that it hurts when you put weight on it, but that it does not support your weight.
The most common types of knee injuries suffered in car accidents
The knee is one of the most complex joints in your body. The impact of a collision can damage:
- Your Ligaments: There are four different ligaments in your knee, but the anterior cruciate ligament is the one that allows you to walk and put weight on your knee. Anterior cruciate ligament tears are relatively common in car accidents.
- Your menisci: It is not uncommon for the meniscus to tear, which can lead to pain, swelling, stiffness, immobilization of the knee, and difficulty stretching the leg.
- Your tendons: The patellar tendon connects the kneecap with the tibia. When it becomes inflamed, it can lead to tendonitis. A torn patellar tendon will prevent you from running, jumping, or doing many other physical activities.
Accident Chiropractors in Chicago Illinois – Committed to Fully Restoring Your Health
At Grandview Health Partners, our primary goal is always to bring you back to full health. If you have questions or would like to meet with one of our doctors, please contact our chiropractors in Chicago to get the appropriate treatment for you. Call or contact us today to schedule an appointment.