Can a Chiropractor Treat Carpal Tunnel Syndrome in Chicago?
Carpal tunnel syndrome is a condition in which the median nerve is compressed as it passes through an opening from the wrist to the hand, called the carpal tunnel. The carpal tunnel is formed by the carpal bones at the bottom of the wrist and the transverse carpal ligament at the top of the wrist. Because the median nerve supports sensory and motor functions of the thumb and middle three fingers, numerous symptoms can occur if it becomes irritated or compressed.
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Facts
Carpal tunnel release is one of the most common surgeries performed in the US Women develop the syndrome three times more often than men. It usually occurs only in adults.
What is the cause of carpal tunnel syndrome in Chicago?
Most cases of carpal tunnel syndrome do not have a specific cause, although any or all of the following factors may contribute:
- Frequent, repetitive, small hand movements (such as typing or using a keyboard).
- Frequent and repetitive grasping movements with the hands (such as during sports and certain physical activities).
- Joint or bone disease (for example, arthritis, osteoarthritis, or rheumatoid arthritis).
- Hormonal or metabolic changes (for example, menopause, pregnancy, or thyroid imbalance).
- Changes in blood sugar levels (such as may occur, for example, with type 2 diabetes).
- Other wrist conditions or injuries (for example, strain, sprain, dislocation, fracture, or swelling and inflammation).
- Family history of carpal tunnel syndrome.
What are the symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome in Chicago?
The following are the most common symptoms:
- Weakness when holding objects with one or both hands.
- Pain or numbness in one or both hands.
- Sensation of numbness in the fingers.
- Sensation of swelling in the fingers.
- Burning or tingling in the fingers, especially the thumb, index, and middle fingers.
- Pain or numbness that is worse at night and disrupts sleep.
The symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome may be similar to other conditions or medical problems. Always see your health care provider for a diagnosis.
How is carpal tunnel syndrome diagnosed in Chicago?
Your provider will review your medical history and do a physical exam. He may recommend electrodiagnostic testing of your nerves. Those tests are the best way to diagnose carpal tunnel syndrome. Electrodiagnostic tests stimulate the muscles and nerves in the hand to see how well they work.
Treatment of carpal tunnel syndrome in Chicago
Your health care provider will determine the best treatment for you based on the following:
- Your age.
- Your general health and medical history.
- The current state of your doll.
- Your tolerance for specific medications, procedures, or therapies.
- The expectations of the evolution of the condition.
- Your opinion or preference.
Treatment may include the following:
- Placing splint on the hand. This will help keep your wrist from moving. It will also relieve compression of the nerves within the tunnel.
- Anti-inflammatory medications. They can be taken orally or injected into the carpal tunnel space. This reduces swelling.
- Surgery. Relieves nerve compression in the carpal tunnel.
- Changes in the workplace. Changing the position of your computer keyboard or making other ergonomic changes may help relieve your symptoms.
- Training. Stretching and strengthening exercises may be helpful for people whose symptoms have subsided. These exercises can be done under the supervision of a physical therapist, who is specially trained to use exercises to treat physical problems. It could also be an occupational therapist, who is specially trained to evaluate people with physical problems and help them build skills to improve their health and well-being.
If you have questions or would like to meet with one of our doctors, please contact our chiropractors in Chicago to get the appropriate treatment for you. Call or contact us today to schedule an appointment.